Landlord’s gas responsibilities when holiday letting a property

holiday-let-kitchenWith Cornwall being a popular U.K tourist destination many properties in Cornwall are rented out as holiday and winter lets. We have a lot of customers who fall into this category throughout the Padstow and Wadebridge area and we offer a cost efficient service to help them with their gas safety compliance. The following information should help to clarify Landlord responsibilities when it comes to complying with the law as it pertains to gas safety.

Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. It replaced CORGI. Trust the Triangle – only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your appliances and always check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Landlords are legally responsible for the safety of their tenants. Landlords should make sure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

By law, landlords must make sure:
• Pipe-work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition
• All appliances and flues that they provide for tenants use have an annual safety check
• Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer
• All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting
• A gas safety record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in.
• Landlords must keep a copy of the gas safety record for two years. Before any gas work is carried out always check the engineer’s ID card and make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. Encourage your tenants to do the same. For more information and to find and check a Gas Safe registered engineer go to or call 0800 408 5500.